If you are unhappy right now, it’s because you forgot what you deserve. In your mind, you really think you deserve better or more than what you have. And therefore, you are unhappy. If you are thoroughly convinced that you were a condemned sinner, then you would be happy with any and all circumstances (since anything would be better than hell!)
“And the people spoke against God and against Moses, ‘Why have you brought us up out of Egypt to die in the wilderness? For there is no food and no water, and we loathe thisworthless food.” Numbers 21:5But that “worthless” food (manna) is what was keeping them alive! The alternative is to starve to death. But they got tired of eating the same food day after day and felt that it was now worthless…. They thought they deserved better!
Consider these questions:
- Do you hate your job because it’s the same mindless work day after day?
- Do you complain to your spouse about eating leftover food every day?
- Do you daydream about the good old days?
- Are you constantly buying new things even though your current things are still working?
- Would you say you are in general a thankful person or a grumpy person?
If you said “yes” to some of these, be careful. You are in danger of unbelief and inciting the anger of God.
When you are feeling miserable or complaints rise to your throat, remind yourself of what you deserved. You were a condemned sinner on the way to hell. Jesus saved you out of it and gave you life! Rejoice and be thankful!!